When Interviewing a Doula,
What Questions Should I Ask?
When interviewing one of My3Doulas, most likely you will
have two of us at the interview. In the event that the
primary doula that you hire is unavailable, due to illness
or family emergency, you will have already met one of her
Following are questions you can ask any doula that you
intend to interview.
1, What training have you had? (If a doula
is certified, you might consider checking with the organization.)
2. Do you have one or more backup doulas for times when
you are not available? May we meet her/them?
3. What is your fee, what does it include and what are
your refund policies?
When interviewing a Birth Doula
1. Tell me about your experience
as a birth doula.
2. What is your philosophy about birth and supporting women
and their partners through labor?
3. May we meet to discuss our birth plans and the role
you will play in supporting me through birth?
4. May we call you with questions or concerns before and
after the birth?
5. When do you try to join women in labor? Do you come
to our home or meet us at the place of birth?
6. Do you meet with us after the birth to review the labor
and answer questions?
When interviewing a Postpartum Doula
1. Tell me about your
experience as a postpartum doula.
2. What is your philosophy about parenting and supporting
women and their families during postpartum?
3. May we meet to discuss our postpartum needs and the
role you will play in supporting us in the postpartum period?
4. May we call you with postpartum questions or concerns
before the birth?
5. When do your services begin after birth?
6. What is your experience in breastfeeding support?
7. Have you had a criminal background check, a recent TB
test and current CPR certification?